• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kasey24

Kasey24
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Hello,

I want to do my extended essay over segregation in baseball and I wanted to see if someone could help me come up with a good question. So far I have came up with this: To what extent did Jackie Robinson's involvement in baseball contribute to the civil rights movement?

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

The rules of the forum - and indeed the rules of your exam - say that we cannot help a student with their coursework ... to do so would disqualify you for cheating.
So I will NOT comment on your question.

I AM, however, allowed to make general comments about coursework questions.
For instance, a question which just asked for a description of things would not give the candidate the opportunity to score very highly, because it would be addressing such easy, low-level skills that not many marks would be available.

A much better idea would be to try to find something where there is a debate (e.g. was Nazi Germany a chaotic dictatorship or a tightly-controlled oppressive regime?).

The best questions therefore:
1. will not try to cover too huge an area, or the candidate will get overfaced
2. will address a topic where the candidate can easily get hold of a wide range of many resources
3. will involve a topic where historians have disagreed
4. will pose a question which has been a topic of debate and ask the candidate to resolve the disagreement

If you consider these ideas, you will be able to see if the topic you have chosen is going to be successful.

PS you ARE allowed to discuss things with your teacher - we would always advise you to do so, and to take his advice over our comments every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users