Changing Nature Of Warfare 1792-1945

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justinbieber

justinbieber
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'm currently studying for this course on the OCR exam board (f966 option B), and was just wondering if anyone had any revision resources or tips for this exam.

Also i have a more specific question regarding the structure of the two essay answers required in the exam.

The questions usually follow the format, "Strong alliances (or some other factor) were main determinant of success during this period, to what extent to you agree".

i have no problems arguing in favour of the original statement, however i run into difficulty when trying to offer an opposing argument.

Am i suppose to offer other factors which i believe were the main determinants of victory, in this case, any other than alliances, such as leadership, or am i suppose to simply highlight occasions throughout the period when alliances have failed, and alliances did not determine victory?

the exam is on the 12th of june, so any help would be appreciated!

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Both, Justin.

I would follow a four-section plan:
1. Arguments for
2. Weaknesses in the argument for
3. Alternative possiblities
4. Solution-conclusion

Don't forget to PEEL (point-evidence-explanation-link_your_ideas_together)

have you had a look at the markschemes for 2010 and 2011.

Don't forget also, at this level, you need to be showing some awareness of historiography.

#3 justinbieber

justinbieber
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. I have managed to have a look at some of the mark schemes but found it difficult to gather an overall structure for the essay.

To clarify, my structure is arguments for, weakness in argument, alternatives to argument, then conclusion/ judgement?

And, "peel" is the paragraph structure?

Thanks again, this has been very helpful. Was beginning to get worried as I got closer to the exam without confirmation on structure.

#4 justinbieber

justinbieber
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Sorry, but I'm not to sure what you mean by historiography. Would you be able to go over this?

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. I have managed to have a look at some of the mark schemes but found it difficult to gather an overall structure for the essay.

To clarify, my structure is arguments for, weakness in argument, alternatives to argument, then conclusion/ judgement?

And, "peel" is the paragraph structure?

Thanks again, this has been very helpful. Was beginning to get worried as I got closer to the exam without confirmation on structure.

Yes, correct.
I would guess that would be a satisfactory structure in terms of plan - after that it would be all down to the sophistication of your arguments/analysis.
At A-level they are going to want evaluation as well - not just this is a factor/ideas, but how important/significant was that factor.

Sorry, but I'm not to sure what you mean by historiography. Would you be able to go over this?

Historiography is what historians have written/said about it - their different theories over the years; you should be able to mention a few key names/schools where appropriate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)