History Test

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi. I am currently going to do my exam on History and I can't find a way to revise. Every time I sit down to study my mind goes blank. Is there any way I can revise. I have only got two days left. Plz help! :unsure:

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

1. Revising is tough. It takes time and hard work.

2. Never just read your notes. You must always be DOING something with them to FIX the information in your brain.

3. Sort out your learning style before you start revising by visiting this webpage.

4. MIX THE INPUTS - eg: Walk around while you try to revise your notes/ make your notes into diagrams/ write down your notes on postcards.

5. Use visual images as 'hooks' on which to hang factual knowledge.

6. 'Notes on notes on notes' - make a paraphrase of your notes, then a paraphrase of the paraphrase, and so on, until you have compressed each section of notes into 6-8 cryptic headings/words. Not only are these easy to learn, but by writing and re-writing the words you have helped to embed them in your brain.

REMEMBER
"The easiest way to 'fix the information' in your brain is to WRITE IT DOWN"

How to revise:
1. Use the notes-on-notes technique to paraphrase the information into lists of points.
2. Invent visual images which act as a 'hook' for the lists.
3. Convert the lists back into proper longhand prose
4. When you think you have learned the lists, stick the hard copies up on a wall where you can read the titles but not the details, and then go through each sheet, rehearsing what each section says.
5. Take the original sheets downstairs, and ask a family member to 'test' you on them.

#3 Saraa

Saraa
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

This is what I do and it seems to help alot!
I take a sheet of paper per topic (or more depending on how much is incorporated in the topic)
I then bullet point all the facts I think will be needed in my exam under subheadings
I colour each subject heading and its belonging bullet points in different colours
I think get my mum to read me each subheading and I give her the facts below

It also helps because your brain will associate that subheading with a colour and help you remember the bullet points.

Flash cards with small amounts of information summarized on them with a question for a family member to ask you may also help.

Also taking quizzes online may also help. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ This website has a range of History topics with videos and quizzes and its also good for other subjects too.

Goodluck :)

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

One of the things I love about this site is when students take time out to help each other. Thank you both for your contributions.

#5 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the replies
Really helps a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users