• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saraa

Saraa
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

My textbook doesn't make sense!

Who came up with the theory of the four humours?

I can remember my history teacher telling us it was Hippocrates however my text book says Greek Doctors developed the theory and does not mention Hippocrates however it then goes into a section about Hippocrates and implies he only used it however it then implies that he developed it!

Someone please help I'm so confused and my exam is on Tuesday!

#2 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hello! I think this will help you!
http://www.unani.com/humours.htm
:D

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

We don't go against what your teacher says. However, that said, we all sometimes teach things which aren't necessarily entirely correct. So, Hippocrates didn't invent the Theory of the Four Humours itself, however, he may have been the first person to apply the Theory to medical treatment.

Howver, from your point of view you will not get marked down if you use what your teacher has told you. On the other hand, if you want to go with Hippocrates not developing the Theory but only using it, that would be allowed as well.

I hope that this helps. Please let us know if you need any more help.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Many thanks, HistoryRules, for helping by providing this reference.

However, like some sources, it says that Hippocrates did develop the Theory. But if you do a short seach on the internet you will find that sources tend to conflict. It's part of what makes an historian's job interesting.

#5 Saraa

Saraa
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

We don't go against what your teacher says. However, that said, we all sometimes teach things which aren't necessarily entirely correct. So, Hippocrates didn't invent the Theory of the Four Humours itself, however, he may have been the first person to apply the Theory to medical treatment.

Howver, from your point of view you will not get marked down if you use what your teacher has told you. On the other hand, if you want to go with Hippocrates not developing the Theory but only using it, that would be allowed as well.

I hope that this helps. Please let us know if you need any more help.

So if a question on Ancient Greek medicine came up involving Hippocrates I could say something along the lines of 'Hippocrates was among the first to apply the theory of the four humours to his practical medical work, writings and teachings.' and I wouldn't get marked down for it?

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

So if a question on Ancient Greek medicine came up involving Hippocrates I could say something along the lines of 'Hippocrates was among the first to apply the theory of the four humours to his practical medical work, writings and teachings.' and I wouldn't get marked down for it?

I think any examiner reading that would be very impressed both with your subject knowledge and the way you expressed it.

#7 Saraa

Saraa
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think any examiner reading that would be very impressed both with your subject knowledge and the way you expressed it.

Thank you so much and I think I'll take on board what you said to Historyrules about the sources and add in something like 'Although some sources say Hippocrates was the founder of the theory other conflict with that, so it is impossible to say whether he did or in fact did not.'

And again Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users