Photo

How Did The Second World War Change The Attitudes Of Women?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MiruSiva

MiruSiva
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Please can someone help me to answer this exam question. I am a WJEC exam board student. I have my exam in two days. And I really need help

Thank You

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I created the following interactive diagram for my students quite a few years ago - http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/lessons/impactofwar/wwiiwomen.html

I think it will prove a useful revision aid for you in terms of any exam question about the 'role and status of women due to WWII'. Do have a look and then get back to us with any further questions.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

W.J.E.C. don't publish mark schemes online, so it is difficult to be too specific.

If your question is about content, i.e. stuff to put in your answer, then Mr. Field's diagram should help.

I have put an appeal on the Teachers' Forum to see if there are any teachers who teach this exam.

However, you will need to concentrate on explanation. So, first you need to identify several differences in women's attitudes e.g. to working in industry etc., their role as wives and mothers, then explain how the war changed them.

E.g. 'Before the war many middle-class women would not have thought about working in industry or non-office jobs. However, the increased demand for women workers led to more and more women choosing, or being sent, to factories. Here they sometimes operated complicated machinery and played a vital role in war production. After the war ended, many women happily returned to their pre-war lives. However, others had enjoyed the responsibility and better pay and were unwilling to give up the careers they had started.'

It's not a great example; I am sure you could do better.

I suspect that ideally a top level answer would come to some sort of conclusion.

Hope that this helps. Please let us know if you need more help.

#4 MiruSiva

MiruSiva
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thank you Mr Field, the diagram really helps.

Thank You

#5 Mr_Stacey

Mr_Stacey
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hello there.

Don't know if you'll get this in time, but I hope it helps.

Not sure which paper you're sitting, or which question it is, but it sounds like a 4 mark question from section B.

If it is, you need to provide two points, and explain them.

So for example, you might say that the fact women did many jobs that were seen as 'men's jobs' before the war and this meant that some of them were able to continue in work after the war. (That would be one pont, explained and so be worth 2 marks. You'd need to do that twice)

Alternatively it may be a 5 mark question, in which case you need to provide 5 specific points (rather than explaining them)

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users