Why Was The 1930S Difficult For Women

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MiruSiva

MiruSiva
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Can someone help me with this question as soon as possible please. I really need to know the answer to it asap.

Thank You

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Right, I am assuming that it is the content you are struggling with?

I have to say that I am not an expert on this, but here are a few ideas.

In 1929 the Wall Street Crash led to a worldwide economic depression. Many people in Britian lost their jobs including large numbers of women. Often employers preferred to get rid of women workers before men, as they felt that men were the chief 'breadwinners'. The economic problems led to a lck of new jobs for women, as well as low wages for all workers. In turn this meant that married women with families were faced with less money coming in, while still having to feed and clothe their families. This economic situation lasted until the Second World War broke out in 1939, when women's lives changed again.

In 1928 women had achieved equality in suffrage (voting rights). So, women were now lokking forward to having increased opportunites in work and society. For example, many middle-class women wanted to become independent from their families, but the Great Depression made this more difficult. So, despite the fact that women had made progress since the First World War, further advances were very slow during the 1930s.

As a matter of interest the History Learning Site has a section on 'The Role of Women 1900-1945' although it doesn't help you with this particular question. The index is here.

#3 MiruSiva

MiruSiva
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thank you Mr Bryant, This really helps.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users