rochester project yr7 help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hello. I have recently been to Rochester for a school trip. Now we have to do a project on Rochester Castle and Cathedral.
My group is doing the Rochester Cathedral. In the Power Point we have to include:
  • What are the changes in the Cathedral from the medieval ages to now?
  • What are the main features of the Cathedral?
  • What are the evidence of changes in the Cathedral?
I hoping if someone could help me on how to lay it out and how to answer these questions properly. This will affect my marks on my end of year results!!!!! :o Please help!
Thank you! :)
HistoryRules

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi - it sounds like an exciting project. There are two things to focus on with this work - firstly the content - what you put into the work. This is the most important aspect and the information you present needs to be accurate, interesting and attention grabbing. The second aspect is the presentation itself - the fonts, the colours and the images that you use.

As a good historian, focus on the content first. You've got three key questions. I would suggest trying to show a series of images that show the cathedral as it was in the middle ages and then how it has changed up until now. If you do some research online you should be able to find quite a few images. Make sure you include the source for each image. You could then use these images to explain how the cathedral has or hasn't changed over the years. For the 'main features' you need to look at the design and layout of the cathedral. Are any parts of the cathedral set out in a particular pattern or arranged in a certain way? Many medieval cathedrals had a very specific layout and it would be good to look into the importance of this. Finally, you can like your 'evidence of changes' back to the images that I've suggested - you can show how the cathedral has physically changed over time and then try to focus on your evidence to prove your points.

Good luck. Once you've got all your information together you can then present it in a professional way. Try not to go over the top with the presentation. Find a smart and professional font, use animation carefully (too much will make your work look daft) and don't overload your slides with too much text.

#3 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for the reply. Just 2 more questions.
How many slides do you think is recommended, as there are 6 people in the group and 3 of us are creating the slides for the Cathedral?
Do you recommend any good power points as an example? ( not necessarily the same topic!)
Thank you for the help!!
:D
HistoryRules

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

You are going to hate this answer!

You need as many slides as you need!
Start off by thinking about what you want to say, and thencreate the slides to illustrate that.

Try to include both word- and picture-slides.

Will you be 'talking to' the ppt, or just handing it in.
If you are 'talking to it' include more pictures (where you can point out facts and features); if you are handing it in include more word-slides, so that the ppt includes every point you need to make.

#5 HistoryRules

HistoryRules
  • Student
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thank you for the help!!! ^_^
Does anyone have any idea about the changes from Saxon to Norman?? :wacko:

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yes; they knocked down the Saxon Cathedral (604) and rebuilt the thing completely.

The second page of this document gives you a picture of what the Saxon Cathedral may have looked like, and wikipedia descibes its dimensions here (third para).

The position of the Saxons apse is marked on the floor of the cathedral, and you can see a picture of that here.

The Norman buildingproject is described in wikipedia here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rochester, project, yr7, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users