History Igcse Exams

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mumta96

mumta96
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Help!!! I have just sat mock mocks and my history result was not as planned. I revised my topics hard but when i cam to the exam it didn't seem to show. is this because I am waffling too much. if so, how would i be able to keep off the waffling and do both the 5,7,8 q's and sources q's proplerly??

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Help!!! I have just sat mock mocks and my history result was not as planned. I revised my topics hard but when i cam to the exam it didn't seem to show. is this because I am waffling too much. if so, how would i be able to keep off the waffling and do both the 5,7,8 q's and sources q's proplerly??

Don't worry too much, yet. Mocks are designed to help you see how you are doing and give you time to change things before the real thing. It would be helpful if you let us know which Board/Syllabus you are studying with/for so that we can give you some specific advice.

#3 mumta96

mumta96
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am currently doing History IGCSE CIE and the course code is 0470.
in the mocks i got below what i was expected to have, is that normal??

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

I am currently doing History IGCSE CIE and the course code is 0470.
in the mocks i got below what i was expected to have, is that normal??

Students do very often underperform in their mocks - because they make all the mistakes that one can make in an exam.
That's why you have mocks, to get those mistakes out of the way!
However - as you are doing - it's really important to find out what those mistakes were, so you can now work on not doing them again.

To be honest, I don't know what mistakes you made, and how youcan do better next time, because I am not your teacher and I haven't seen your papers.
Common mistakes made by pupils in Mocks are:
1. mis-timing the exam/questions
2. answering the 'wrong' question (i.e. misunderstanding what the question was asking for)
3. not meeting the markscheme clearly enough
4. not writing enough - not putting enough facts, not going 'right through' with explanations
5. sometimes you have got everything right and it is just one question the pupil has messed up - other times they have underperformed across the exam.

There are three things you can do at this stage:
1. you MUST speak with your teachers; only they know why you got the mark you got. Make them sit down with you one-to-one and take you through your exam, quesiton-by-question, explaining where you fell short and what you could have done to do better.
2. it would be worth your while looking at the markscheme (CIE publish all their markschemes here), so you can work out how the marks are awarded for each kind of question. Then do a few practice essays off your own bat, trying to 'meet the markscheme', handing them to your teacher to be marked, to see if you can 'up your game'.
3. start learning the facts NOW - there are suggested revision sheets for modern world history on www.johndclare.net, or your teacher may have some, or be able to recommend some - so that you are naturally familiar with all the facts, and not having to think about them in the exam.

#5 mumta96

mumta96
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

would it be and Idea, that i tackle practice papers with the mark schemes first to get familiar with how i need to answer my questions and then move on to doing them without?

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

would it be and Idea, that i tackle practice papers with the mark schemes first to get familiar with how i need to answer my questions and then move on to doing them without?

Exam practice is always a good idea, particularly if your teacher would be happy to mark your papers. Even if they won't, you should be able to get a good idea of how you have done if you have been able to go through the scheme and paper with your teacher. We will be happy to help with specific enquries, but we don't mark students' work.

#7 talabizo

talabizo
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

how are you i thank u

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users