Rearmament Economy Germany

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Resonance123

Resonance123
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have an essay due which is about whether Hitler should have listened to Schacht's (Economics Minister) warnings against military rearmament in 1936?

What I want to talk about is evidence to show that the economy in Germany could not have supported rearmament and that this was a major reason for Hitler's loss. If anyone can help me with this or anything to do with the title only, then thanks :).

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

You will enjoy this article and need to chase the arguments around Mason's 'flight to war' thesis, which was basically that Nazi policies so wrecked the German economy that they HAD to go to war to stop it collapsing.

#3 Resonance123

Resonance123
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

wow that article was helpful but thanks so much for the mason thesis 8) thatll help me a lot thanks :)

#4 Resonance123

Resonance123
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Can someone tell me which document to use to help me. Ive already got one: Hossbach Memorandum.

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Can someone tell me which document to use to help me. Ive already got one: Hossbach Memorandum.

Dunno - the best way to find sources is to chase the footnotes in the books you are reading ... then you get the documents which are relevant to the points you want to make (and actually often you find that the source wasn't quite saying what the author is saying it said).

I did find this, and I presume you;ve come across Stephen J Lee's book (read from page 59) and Overy's book?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users