Photo

Jack The Ripper

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History.<br />Tennis,<br />Squash,<br />Internet,<br />Coin Collecting/Research,<br />Football (Soccer),<br />Music.

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:09 PM

As Im currently studying 'Jack The Ripper' as part of my coursework, I wonder will we ver know the ripper's true identity? There have been many suspects ranging from; Prince Albert Victor to the novelist Lewis Caroll and even a female suspect nicknamed 'Jill The Ripper'!

There is lots of information about the many suspects including their profiles and histories at this website: Jack The Ripper - The Suspects

I personally believe that the Ripper was probably Francis Tumblety. Tumblety fits many requirements of what we now know as the ‘serial killer profile.’ He had a supposed hatred of women and prostitutes (the abortion with the prostitute Dumas, his alleged failed marriage to an ex-prostitute, his collection of uteri, etc.).
Tumblety may have also had some anatomical knowledge. Several acquaintances of his in America believed it likely that he was the Ripper when interviewed in 1888. There is a strong case to be made that he was indeed the Batty Street Lodger.

There are also many other reasons that support him being the Ripper, which can be found via the above link.

Who do you think think was the Ripper?

#2 Mr.P.Smith

Mr.P.Smith
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:37 PM

hate to burst your balloon but a very recent work has seemingly ruled Tumblety out. <_<

can't remember the title but it is by a recently retired Murder Squad officer who has done two things...

a) discounted every known suspect for the role

B) argued convincingly that there were two murderers...

if I come acroos the books title I'll post it up

#3 Mr.P.Smith

Mr.P.Smith
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

Think it is this one

Whitechapel Murders-solved?
John Plimmer Nov 2003

#4 daryl leeworthy

daryl leeworthy
  • Student
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I saw a BBC documentary on this a few years ago, they too ruled out Tumplety. There's always the rumour about it being a Prince...? The documentary gave compelling evidence that who ever the killer was had to be a medical practitioner or someone with detailed anatomical knowledge simply because of the dare I say it 'professionalism' of the crimes. I doubt though that they'll ever solve the crimes.

#5 Anti-Alex

Anti-Alex
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:22 AM

agreence on the medical practioner thing a time machine would be great right now

#6 kironramdewar

kironramdewar
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

:warning: Well I think we'll never know simply because it was sooooooooooo long ago.If it was recent we wolud have documented it all and sources would have been dealt with and the trash removed from the investigation.
There will always be theories about Jack the Ripper but that's what makes history what it is.The mysteries,the unknown and the weird that we just don't understand because it was the past.You find the past my friends.
KIRON (Friendly fat boi)

#7 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:13 PM

David Jessel presented a programme on Tumblety in which he looked at the evidence that "proved"he was the murderer. I was very surprised by the findings as it seems that people are still locating "new" evidence. this was the basis of the tumblety prog and very convincing it was too but I still cannot help but feel there's not enough proff of the reliability of the evidence to make any clear judgement. One programme on the history channel had supposed experts giving their verdicts and there were at least 6 different theories as to who it was. Which explains why it's so popular with my class. Everyone's right and everyone's wrong!

#8 Sparky

Sparky
  • Student
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Basketball<br />History lol<br />Music (any kind)<br />Having a Laugh.

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

(Just was browsing through old topics) I think in the future it will be inevitable at some time everyone will know everything. And through time trave (being serious here) will be able to travel back and find out.

#9 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

Think about it - we know time travel will never be invented. Why? Because they would be able to come back and tell us. :lol:

#10 Sparky

Sparky
  • Student
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Basketball<br />History lol<br />Music (any kind)<br />Having a Laugh.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:31 PM

Good point but how do we know the future has already happened, how do we know time works in a circle and how do we know we are the first to come this far? :D Good point tho :lol:

Edited by Sparky, 09 May 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#11 historyisace

historyisace
  • Student
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:History projects (just kidding) no but they are quite good once you get into them!<br /><br />I love to play my violin and go ice skating!<br /><br />=] :D

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:34 AM

Mr Field and Sparky are going off at a slight Tangent (sp?) <_<

I know this sounds silly but could someone enlighten me on the the word anatomical.

I haven't really studied Jack the Ripper that closely, but from what i've seen no-one REALLY knows WHO Jack the Ripper was. There are all these POSSIBLE suspects. But for all we know it could be some one TOTALLY different and someone unknown and unheard of.

:huh:

#12 Kate72

Kate72
  • Student
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

I think the fact that no one's too sure of his identity adds to the mystery and i think if everyone knew who he was, he wouldn't be so interesting to everyone. If i was playing Cluedo and i knew who the murderer was, i wouldn't be so enthusiastic to continue playing. Who agrees?

#13 David Jackson

David Jackson
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

I seem to remember seeing a documentary with a man dressed up as an ancient Victorian, who pretty conclusively said it was the Polish doctor (Klosowski was it? This was two years ago I can't remember). I thought it was quite funny that people debate it to the death today, yet this program gave it's opinion so conclusively that non-observant children might just take it as gospel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users