How Would You Like To Be Assessed?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 sophieferdinand

sophieferdinand
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

for Standard Grade your two years worth of work are dependant on one (well two really) exams - this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a student - especially, when the subject range is so wide.

although i agree that some people perform well under exam conditions, there are always those who don't. if there was coursework that accounted for at least a percentage of your overall grade, you could walk into the exam with that already under your belt (if you bothered to work at it)

the Enquiry skills questions are repetitive - which can be considered fairly easy - as once you have learnt the basic formula, all you have to do is repeat yourself over and over and over and over and add in small bits of information - this is not really challenging or a good use of skills...

i think that exams are a good idea - but there should also be a percentage of your overall grade made up from a project or investigation that furthers your knowledge on a particular topic.

#17 cold-fire-fly

cold-fire-fly
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

I prefer coursework because i can not see, especially in history, when i am going to be in a position to write an essay, with no one to ask help or advice from, no other text books or references, no internet, or any other form of notes.

I much prefer coursework because i believe it gives a truer representation of your level. I hate the fact that in exams you only have a few hours to get it right and f you dont you fail.

I think that we should be assessed more on coursework and projects, with an exam but with it having much less influence on your overall grade.

I also agree that oral presentations would be a good idea but should be optional. That you should be able to choose to do a presentation, a speech, a debate, coursework, project etc. at the start of year 10 instead of a full exam at the end of year 11.

I also think that the time given in the edexcel exams ( i dont know about others) is pathetic - you have so little time whereas on a maths exam nearly everyone has nearly an hour to spare. I would like a certain amount of time needed to do all your exams. Say 15 hours or something, and you would make up your time - for instance i could take of the 1/2 hour+ i have extra on my maths exam and add it on to the time that i am given for my history exam!

i am begining to waffle so i shall stop. :)

cold-fire-fly

#18 aishah321

aishah321
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:26 PM

The most accurate way to be assessed as a student is to be given a project or task to do which would exercise our reading, presenting, researching and analysing abilities. By doing it this way you can also see how committed people are to the subject, (thats the easiest way i learn anyway).
I think you shouldn't have reams of coursework because that can sometimes make the student lose interest.
hope this helps,

#19 Sparky

Sparky
  • Student
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Basketball<br />History lol<br />Music (any kind)<br />Having a Laugh.

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:59 PM

How would I like to be assesed? I wouldn't like to be assesed at all :D

However straight questions with a correct or incorrect answer nothing fancy. To the point questions no "beating about the bush" as such.

#20 Satirical

Satirical
  • Student
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

How would I like to be assesed? I wouldn't like to be assesed at all

However straight questions with a correct or incorrect answer nothing fancy. To the point questions no "beating about the bush" as such.

You sure you don't want multiple answers to them too? :unsure:

#21 Smile

Smile
  • Student
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:56 PM

I hate exams. This is because if you have a bad attack of the nerves or are worried about something (eg the exam) you don't perform well. This means that you may not take the subject to higher education (college university) even if you're good at it. My cousin won the schools award for being the best at history then was bitterly disappointed when she resived a B at AS level. She wanted to study English at Oxford but now doesn't think she will get in. I believe this happens to many, we are talented at a certain subject and its sad.
Some people are goog at coursework as they arn't in such a pressured situation as being in an exam but they still have deadlines which many get stressed about.
Though this my not be possible I think they should use coursework mark, exam mark and another, more longterm mark of indervidual performance in classwork to determine the final level. :wacko:

#22 shortie_6144

shortie_6144
  • Student
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

I hate exams. This is because if you have a bad attack of the nerves or are worried about something (eg the exam) you don't perform well.

I think that this is right aswell. Why not have a small exam, perhaps a multiple choice, and let this be a very small percent of your work. Then to make upi the rest of the grade, work from class and coursework. You could even take into account work from previous years.
:blink:

#23 short-n-stumpy

short-n-stumpy
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

I would give anything to have coursework!! When i lived in England, i enjoyed coursework in yr 8 and 9, then i moved to scotland, and all of a sudden it's all about exams...that was a big shock for me!!! Especially as i excelled in coursework...anyone that complains about coursework: you don't know how good you have it! I;m not a particualry good student when it comes to exams, i freak out, get total blanks....and i failed 5 out of 8 of my prelims! Then when it came to my actual exams, i had a big bust up wit da folks and got kicked out half way thru my exams, so i dint revise, dint study at all for any of my subjects....luckily i scraped 3 A*'s, 2 A's, and 3 B's, i dont know how i did it, it's a miracle, but i advise everyone who has the chance of coursework....do it! Get it over an done with, dont go out on that saturday, stay in get your coursework done then you dont have to rely completely on your final exam! :unsure:

#24 deb.O

deb.O
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

I am from singapore and we take the GCSE cambridge paper though the coursework is somewhat different. we are marked by the level of response answer scheme.

i feel that this method of assessment is becoming something where you can just read a guidebook and get the level 5 of response along with a high mark.

i think a long term project could work like you do your own research and present it in any possible way. be it oral, visual etc. and the source based and essay writing could be cut down somewhat to include this.

or a presentation whereby the student expresses his or her ideas about someone or something that happened in history and be graded by how much they know about the subject, maturity of thought and effort.

thats all i can think of as of now. :)

#25 Sarum

Sarum
  • Student
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

1) If you could choose the way in which you demonstrated your ability as a history student, how would you do it?
I'd choose to be assessed as I went along - I absolutely LOATHE these A Level exams.

2) What are your thoughts about coursework?
I dislike coursework (mainly because its so hard to get going on them) but I'd rather coursework than a timed essay in an exam.

3) Does the current system of examinations at the end of a course work? If not, what would you like to see instead?
No! It's testing me more on my speed of writing than it is on my history!! I'd like to see maybe more short answer questions and coursework instead of several timed essays.

#26 halfblood

halfblood
  • Student
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:so my name is anisa. i live in bahrain (a tiny island in the middle east), famous for formula one and not much else. I'm half arab and half english (an odd mix). <br /><br />I'm just a teenage girl really. I like to kickbox, horseride, read and spend time with my friends. <br /><br />Feel free to contact me if you want :)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

I believe that the more types of assessment we have, the better chance a candidate has of showing their potential. Personally, I adore source papers. That's because they're based on a candidate's historical skills rather than their knowledge. But then again, knowledge papers are equally important because they show how much a candidate actually knows. Coursework gives a candidate a chance to show your full potential under unexamined conditions. I know some people who panic in exams and therefore don't get much of a chance to show how good they really are, so coursework is important for them.

To determine what other types of exams could be brought in to determine how good a candidate is, it's important to look at what skills an actual historian has. Perhaps, the ability to speak in public well. Or to debate. Ultimately, I think that the more ways we are examined, the more ways we can show our potential.

anisa

#27 dandale

dandale
  • Student
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

1) If you could choose the way in which you demonstrated your ability as a history student, how would you do it? I think there should be a choose between a writen exam and a speaking exam. For the speaking you could answer questions and answer it with what you think.

2) What are your thoughts about coursework? I really like coursework. I think it doosn't leave it all just on the exam.

3) Does the current system of examinations at the end of a course work? If not, what would you like to see instead? I agree with Sarum on this one because there are to many long answers and its more about how much you can fit in rather than what you know. I think a section of short answer questions would be better.

#28 Smile

Smile
  • Student
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

[/font]

a speaking exam. For the speaking you could answer questions and answer it with what you think.

Good idea. That would actually be really good. It would mean that your knowlegde is tested, but not with exam stlye questions. It would show your knowledge very well. I would like that

But...
Who would 'mark' it? Would it be totaly fair because some teachers are much stricter at marking and it couldn't be sent externally.

#29 dandale

dandale
  • Student
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

It could because the teacher could video record it and then send it to the exam board for marking. You would have your exam like at the start of may. Thats what we do with our Drama exam.

#30 abi

abi
  • Student
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Winter Sports, reading, etc.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

1) If you could choose the way in which you demonstrated your ability as a history student, how would you do it?

i would rather do more group work, such as presentations or debating.

2) What are your thoughts about coursework?

coursework is very interesting, but i find you are pressured to explain your answer in very few words, which can be difficult if you can't get your point across in very little words.

3) Does the current system of examinations at the end of a course work? If not, what would you like to see instead?
i have not yet started exams, but i am feeling the pressure to revise and get good marks, i would rather be examined through my work throughout the year, instead of one off examinations where i get all my information muddled up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users