Photo

Methods Of Revision

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Which method of revision do you prefer?

Which method of revision do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

Evidently, a combination of all the proposed options would be ideal for productive revision, but which method suits you best?

Edited by lex, 08 April 2004 - 10:15 PM.

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see what people say in response to your poll, Lex.

In fact we hope to have some fairly detailed advice about Revision online shortly and this will include different revision strategies for different types of learners.

Look out for this!

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:39 AM

Lex
Most revision strategies are based around knowing your learning style -are you a visual, an auditory or a kinaesthetic (hands-on) learner? If you check out this site you will get some ideas.

johndclare.net has some practical organisational advice and links to some good revision sites.

And I have written a long article, primarily aimed at parents, but with loads of good ideas, on my school website. There is also a good article on the different kinds of learners and strategies to help them here

#4 mphillips

mphillips
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

What I mean by other is this method: -

I take a small topic of study such as for instance the Munich Putsch and read the information from class through and then if I don't quite understand it look it up in a revision guide or via the net to find out more information to let me understand the whole topic. Then I cover the information over and on a seperate piece of paper try and make a brain storm summarising all the main important points so that I can recall them in my mind. Then check to see how much I remembered and if it wasn't enough re-do the brainstorm. Then move on. At the end of my revision session then, I try to re-draw all the brainstorms and then see how much I've remembered.

Those little GCSE bitesize books are good too, you can focus on one page, revise it and then return to it to check it. However, so I'm told by my teachers everyone learns differently - so other people might have other points of views. If you can't revise dates or something complicated sometimes I have to write it out over and over again until it sticks in my head. Post-it notes are good too, stick them all over your room to help you remember things.

Hope it helps ^_^

Matt

#5 MightyMeanie

MightyMeanie
  • Student
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:History in general ranging from early civilisations to the present day. I especially enjoy weird history facts. I also like Art and Photography.

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:30 PM

I re-read my notes... try and simplify them .. but keep all the needed information there and answer essay questions that i set myself on the topic.. if i write somethink im impressed with i learn it off by heart.. i will also look at revision books to see if i have missed anythink out as well as the syllibus on the examination boards website <_< monotonous i know but it works

#6 twilight

twilight
  • Student
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:music, harry potter, internet, movies

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:07 PM

i initially make notes on all the topics, then go back to shorten those notes that i can use for last minute reading

i also make general essay plans for all the major topics, so if a question comes up that is related in some way to the ones i planned, i can pull information from there

i also like colour coding my notes and spider diagrams

#7 Hydrolist

Hydrolist
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:49 PM

I used to just read my rough notes made in class.

But I though I'd check out the net for other sites then the BBc bitesize for history, which proved to be a pile of sh*t :P (all this stuff on medicine )

Untill I stumbled upon this site - it totally rocks! It has everything that deals with the syllabus i'm doing (OCR). So hmn, yeah, I use this site for any history revision i do, and considering my exams are like two weeks away (GCSE) I'm on this site frequently. So if you haven't already figured, I just revise from this site, for my history :)

-Hydrolist-

#8 lewis.smith

lewis.smith
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

Hay everyone. Generally, I make notes on each topic and condense it onto one maybe two pages at the most. I then study eqch topic in a different room. I don't know why but it helps. Try it!

Lewis :D

#9 Matt.A

Matt.A
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:27 PM

I actually just read everything i've got and it seems too stick

#10 Falora

Falora
  • Student
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:05 PM

I first divide up the things I need to revise in topics, so that I know what I'm doing. I then read through my notes during class, then I read the section in about two or three textbooks (but I use only one for the main one, the other two are for reference). I make notes from the textbooks.

I sometimes do little knowledge questions, end of unit tests or sample questions from a textbook. I also go onto the BBC Website sometimes and do the Bitesize revision.

Also, if I want to remember dates, vocab, names, keywords etc, I use the read-repeat-cover-write-check method right before I go to bed. I find that revising before night is the most effective way to memorise things.

Hope I've been of some assistance! :D

#11 jiangyaokai

jiangyaokai
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:34 AM

[FONT=Arial]

Evidently, a combination of all the proposed options would be ideal for productive revision, but which method suits you best?

View Post

Actually, I just simply read through the text book, and do some conprehension exercises on the web. And I really think this helped me a lot. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)