English Civil War; Roundheads V Cavaliers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ssej

ssej
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:56 PM

I am doing a project on the differences between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers. I need to compare everything about them from their weapons and fighting tecniques to their leaders. Can any1 help me, I really need a good, informative website with all the information and lots of pictures but so far I've had no such luck.
Thanx

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

The English Civil War Society has a good section on Armies of the period starting on this page. At the bottom you will see links to sections such as Soldiers' Clothing, the Foot, the Horse and so on. This is part of a site of a reenactment group and in each section there is an appropriate photo of their members

This page has links - on the left - to info about Armour, Muskets and Pike and this one has info about different types of military units

I am no military historian but I think you will find that there are few differences in terms of equipment and tactics used between the Cavaliers and the Roundheads. The really significant difference lies in Cromwell's development of the 'New Model Army' and for that you will find this page useful.

This page has links to information about all the major battles and learning about some of those will help to understand better how soldiers and equipment were deployed on the battlefield.

This page also has good information on battle tactics

This page has links to information about many of the military leaders of the English Civil Wars

I hope these links will help. Unfortunately I think you will find it very difficult to bring out any clear differences between Cavaliers and Roundheads from a purely military point of view - other than Cromwell's development of the New Model Army.

Edited by Mrs Faithorn, 09 April 2004 - 10:10 PM.

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image
Members of court - Church of England, often with Arminian or Catholic leanings - personal loyalty and obligation to the king, because they owed their wealth/privileges to him (any ordinary people who fought for the king usually did so because their lord MADE them) - total posh twits AND dressed like wussies. (Boo Boo - wasn't it good that they got beat - Cromwell showed them.)

Posted Image
Often from the country - many ordinary men (bakers, shoemakers etc) - devoted to God in a Puritan way (hated bishops and Laud's Arminian reforms) - believed that Parliament should run the government (hey, like we do today!) - believed that you shouldn't obey the king if he was wrong (and believed that taxes like Ship Money were wrong) - good sound ordinary men who we should honour for securing our freedoms.
(Hooray hooray - good job they chopped off Charles's head too, I say.)

The MOST IMPORTANT difference between the cavaliers and roundheads in battle was this.
Rupert (Cavalier) commanded the Royalist right wing cavalry.
Cromwell (Roundhead) commanded the Parliamentarian right wing cavalry.
Battle starts, OK? Both Rupert and Cromwell win, because both are true great commanders - respect!!!!
BUT Rupert's cavalry are doing it as much for fun as for the cause, and when they beat their Parliamentary opponents, they chase them for miles going 'Yahoo!' 'Yoo Haloo!' etc.
On the other side of the field, Cromwell has put the Royalist enemy cavalry to flight too BUT his New Model Army men are fighting for the cause with their bibles in their pockets and 100% disciplined cause that's just how they are, and they regroup, and wheel round the back of the Royalist infantry and TOTALLY DEFEAT THEM YEAH!

Have you noticed that I am slightly biased against Charles? You may have noticed that occasionally I slip in some mild value-judgement words like USELESS, CLUELESS, STUCK-UP, SELF-OPINIATED ROYAL GIT. Often people miss this mild bias in my writings, but perhaps you were sharp enough to catch it, eh?
However, for all that, the differences I have pointed out are true.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

I am doing a project on the differences between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers. I need to compare everything about them from their weapons and fighting tecniques to their leaders. Can any1 help me, I really need a good, informative website with all the information and lots of pictures but so far I've had no such luck.
Thanx

As this is quite a popular post for people doing a forum search to look up, I though it might be helpful if I added a few more details about differences between the Parliamentarians (known as Roundheads by their enemies) and the Royalists (or Cavaliers as their enemies called them).

The first thing to say is that both sides looked very similar. They wore the same type of armour and equipment and although each regiment was supposed to have coats of the same colour, each side had regiments of bluecoats or greencoats, for example. It is likely, because Parliament's forces were generally better-off and Parliament had access to more money, that Parliament soldiers were more likely to have armour than the Royalists, however, the use of armour on both sides diminished during the course of the English Civil War. Both sides used pikes and muskets (mainly matchlocks) for the 'Foot' or infantry. The 'Horse' (or cavalry) of both sides used swords and pistols.

In terms of leaders, both sides had many aristocrats, or noblemen, leading their armies at the start of the war. However, for various reasons, some military, others political, men further down the social scale, such as Cromwell, became more important in Parliament's armies during the war. However, don't assume that aristocratic leaders were no good: Prince Rupert of the Rhine was one of the most effective leaders of the war, to give just one example. Some officers on both sides were experienced in warfare, having fought in wars in Europe.

As to how they fought, the tactics of both sides were similar. Increasingly both sides used used thinner 'Swedish' style formations rather than the more old-fashioned 'Dutch' ones. However, there was one big difference in the cavalry (horse-soldiers) tactics employed. Parliament's cavalry tended to charge at a much slower speed than the Royalists. This meant that, in the early days of the war, the Cavaliers often beat their opponents. Unfortunately for them, as Mr. Clare has pointed out in his very entertaining post on this thread (!), they then usually lost all control and were no further use in the battle. When Cromwell (and others) created the Ironsides and, later the cavalry of the New Model Army, they kept their speed down in the charge but their discipline and control meant that once they had won in one area of a battle, they could go and help elsewhere eg. Naseby.

I realise that this is far more information than most of you will need (or want?) but I hope some of you will find it helpful.

#5 koolkid

koolkid
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

i know this is real late but just incase anyone still needs help like me...

Visit My Website

:) I do hope this helps anyone else!!!

BTW
The only armour that the Roundheads Had were a large gun which was light but very powerful!!

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

It might - but the link doesn't work!
Can you try again?

#7 jamesdubose

jamesdubose
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

The Royalist and Parliamentary armies used similar diplomacy and weapons during the civilwar. The cavaliers and roundheads these two political groups fight for power during the 17th century civil war in england. The cavaliers put their support for king, Charles 1. The Roundheads support ed the parliament. In the English Civil War, the Roundheads used a variety of weapons: pikes, bows, lances, muskets, artillery, and matchbox rifles. Cavaliers usually carried pistols and swords. This topic is one never forgettable one as it scored me first in our schools essay writing competition last year.
Hope the information helps.

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

The Royalist and Parliamentary armies used similar diplomacy and weapons during the civilwar. The cavaliers and roundheads these two political groups fight for power during the 17th century civil war in england. The cavaliers put their support for king, Charles 1. The Roundheads support ed the parliament. In the English Civil War, the Roundheads used a variety of weapons: pikes, bows, lances, muskets, artillery, and matchbox rifles. Cavaliers usually carried pistols and swords. This topic is one never forgettable one as it scored me first in our schools essay writing competition last year.
Hope the information helps.

Thanks James, and well-done on the essay.
(I deleted the link because we dopn;t allow links to commercial sites.)

#9 Nat.m

Nat.m
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

hello i am stuck on my homework which is due in on monday it is about the war of the Roundheads and Royalists and about Prince Rupert but all i need is facts about the war and what happened in the war please can you help me and thank you.

#10 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

hello i am stuck on my homework which is due in on monday it is about the war of the Roundheads and Royalists and about Prince Rupert but all i need is facts about the war and what happened in the war please can you help me and thank you.

Welcome to the Forum. If you are trying to find out about the English Civil War (fought between the Cavaliers (Royalists) and Roundheads (Parliamentarians) a good place to start is this site which has pages on battles and various famous people on it, including Prince Rupert. If you need more information, follow the links given earlier in this thread. If that's not enough, do a forum search which should find you more information.

Good luck with your homework.

#11 Echo124

Echo124
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

I am writting about a Dragoon in the Royalsit army under Prince Rupert of the Rhine, but I am not sure what kind of gear the had, or if they only rode horses to manuever.Ive visited various websites, but they dont have alot of information regarding dragoons in the the English Civil War.

Any information of what type of clothes they wore, armor(if any), weapons, tactics, duties, unit organization will be very helpful.

Thank you

#12 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

I am writting about a Dragoon in the Royalsit army under Prince Rupert of the Rhine, but I am not sure what kind of gear the had, or if they only rode horses to manuever.Ive visited various websites, but they dont have alot of information regarding dragoons in the the English Civil War.

Any information of what type of clothes they wore, armor(if any), weapons, tactics, duties, unit organization will be very helpful.

Thank you

Difficult, because very specific.

This webpage has a description, and this forum thread tells you some of the things you will need to know.

I suspect your best bet will be this book, though I can't get hold of the index to see if it deals specifically with dragoons.However, I would be surprised if it didn't, and it will have in any case suff of general application that you can use in your work. Go down and ask if it is in your local library (they will be able to get it if they'vedon;t have it), or - at the time of writing - you can pick it up second-hand on amazon for £10.

This volume in the same series definitely DOES have something on the dragoons, including a picture, if the index is to be believed. You can get it second-hand at amazon for under £5. However, it is rather an old book, so the information will be a little out of date.

This webpage has a written description, and this forum thread contains some of the details you may be interested in.
If you want any more, then I suspect you will be best to contact one of the war-gamer forums; although they are a bit geeky, they do tend to know in the kind of obsessive detail you might need.
(However, if you do contact another forum, be sure to follow the rules of safe surfing. Never divulge your personal details, or enter into person-to-person communication, via email, facebook or other. Remember that - unlike the adults on this forum - those people are not CRB-checked, and theya are not preactising teachers.)

#13 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

I am writing about a Dragoon in the Royalist army under Prince Rupert of the Rhine, but I am not sure what kind of gear the had, or if they only rode horses to manuever.Ive visited various websites, but they dont have alot of information regarding dragoons in the the English Civil War.
Thank you

Normally I would send you to a website, some of the ones in this very thread might be of use. However, as you are after quite specific information, I will give you some help.

Dragoons rode horses to battle, as you know, then dismounted. So 1 in 5 (approximately) would hold the horses. The only time I know that dragoons actually charged was at Naseby, when Okey's (Parliamentary) dragoons of the New Model Army charged towards the end of the battle, but this was very unusual. Their main duty was to act as scouts in front of the main army, finding out where the enemy was, securing bridges and other river crossings until the advanced guard could reach them. Their horses gave them mobility, so they were quicker than infantry. Unlike cavalry, dragoons could dismount and hold ground, for a time. In battles, dragoons were not intended to fight in the main battle line. Instead, they were to act on the flanks (each end of the battle line), using hedges etc. to give them protection and 'annoy the enmy' with their fire.

As lightly equipped mounted infantry, generally without having a lot of money spent on them, dragoons didn't bother with armour, although some might have had a buff leather coat. They should have carried swrods, but their main weapon was generally a firelock (flintlock) musket. This was handier than the matchlock musket most musketeers used, meaning that they could even use it while mounted, although this was not usual. At the start of the war some dragoons may have carried 'swinefeathers', pointed metal stakes to stick in the ground to give some protection as a sort of anti-cavlary fence. However, these were cumbersome and were soon got rid of. Their horses were not meant to be used in cavalry charges, so they were quite cheap, probably fairly strong, but not very tall or impressive.

As you are looking at Rupert's dragoons, I would recommend you look up Powick Bridge, 1642, which included some good work from his men. A good account of the skirmish, it wasn't really a battle, is here.

If you need any more help, let us know.

#14 dylan

dylan
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

:)i have a project about what clothes the cavaliers and the round heads wore and their weoponry

can any1 help!! thanks

#15 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Welcome to the forum. I think the best thing is to read the relevant parts of this thread and follow the links: these should tell you what you want to know. If you need anymore information, do a forum search on 'Roundheads' or 'Cavaliers' and see what you can find. Hope that this helps and if you have any more specific questions please let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users