MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

HELP!!!
I hav found lots of reasons why Oliver Cromwell is a hero and a villian
but I dont know wat he is overall!!!? :blink: pleaze can you give me a
hint or ur opion! :D Thanx

There is no right or wrong answer, only what you think!
Write your essay like this.
First say that there are loads of reasons you might think Cromwell was a villain, and then give them.
Next, say that there are things you could say to show he was a hero, and then write about them.
Then finally, for your conclusion, WEIGH the two sides of the argument against each other, and come to your own conclusion, saying WHY you think that.

#47 ummzie

ummzie
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

is it true that oliver cromwells enermies admirred his great leadership skills

#48 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

What an interesting question. As far as I know, the Royalists never publicly admired Cromwell, because they were on the other side in the war. Mr. Clare knows more mabout Cromwell than I do, so he might be able to tell you something different. The Irish certainly didn't admire him and some of them still don't. Later on, even people who didn't like Cromwell's political views admitted that he was a good military leader. Sorry I can't be more helpful; perhaps Mr. Clare will find an example of what you are after.

#49 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

yes it is.

The most famous was the pro-Royalist historian of the Civil Wars, the Earl of Clarendon, who admitted Cromwell had 'a very prodigious address' (= "he was a genius").
Clarendon certainly admired Cromwell - he just thought that he put his great strengths to evil purposes.
You can read what he said about Cromwell here.

#50 alexrose1998

alexrose1998
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hi,

Do you know any really good reasons for why he was a hero and a villain at the same time?? If you do can you tell them too me please?

Thank You in advance

#51 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hi,
Do you know any really good reasons for why he was a hero and a villain at the same time?? If you do can you tell them too me please?
Thank You in advance

Have a look at the first page on this very thread; there is lots on why Cromwell was a hero and a villain. If you then have more questions, please let us know.

#52 alexrose1998

alexrose1998
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Hi,
Thank You in advance

Have a look at the first page on this very thread; there is lots on why Cromwell was a hero and a villain. If you then have more questions, please let us know.

Thank You, Mr Bryant, You helped me a lot with this topic. Thanks again!!

#53 dave007

dave007
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Please could someone help me with opinions towards Cromwell in the 1950's and60's

#54 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Please could someone help me with opinions towards Cromwell in the 1950's and60's

Do you mean you want to know what historians of the 1950s and 1960s were writing about Cromwell?
At that time, nationalist historians hated him as the murdered of Drogheda.
The English 'Whig historians' before 1931 portrayed Cromwell as the defender of England's Protestantism.
English historians of the 1930s and 1940s saw parallels between Cromwell and the military dictators.

RS Paul (1955) concentrated on Cromwell's religious faith as his motivator - is that what you wanted.

After the 1970s, as Northern Ireland dissolved into 'the Troubles' most historians were anti-Cromwell, seeing him as a brutal, bigoted man whose massacres stoked up the hatred in Ireland and helped to cause the problem.

The BIG development in Cromwell historiography occurred in Ireland in 1999 when Tom Reilly, although he is Irish, published a book defending Cromwell.

#55 Ace 3000

Ace 3000
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hi, could someone tell me a site that lists facts suppoting him being a villain and facts supporting him being a hero

#56 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi, could someone tell me a site that lists facts suppoting him being a villain and facts supporting him being a hero

Yeah - just read this thread from the beginning.

#57 Ace 3000

Ace 3000
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Can you tell me a site that will list the facts to show cromwell was a hero.
Thanks

#58 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Can you tell me a site that will list the facts to show cromwell was a hero

yes - this post.
Everything is here on this thread if you will just read it from the beginning.

#59 TheBiggerPicture

TheBiggerPicture
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hello! I'm doing an essay on this topic, and I'm using information from the lessons we've done on Oliver Cromwell and from trustworthy sources on the Internet. I've found out that after the Irish Conquest only 10% of Ireland was left for Irish Catholics, and this was mountains and marshland, so it would provide poor ground for crops. Would someone please be able to confirm whether this is true or false?
Thank you in advance!

#60 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hello! I'm doing an essay on this topic, and I'm using information from the lessons we've done on Oliver Cromwell and from trustworthy sources on the Internet. I've found out that after the Irish Conquest only 10% of Ireland was left for Irish Catholics, and this was mountains and marshland, so it would provide poor ground for crops. Would someone please be able to confirm whether this is true or false?
Thank you in advance!

I can't confirm the actual percentage, but after the Cromwellian settlement of Ireland the Catholics were restricted to the west of Ireland.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)